- The Governing Board shall be made up of three representatives of the Instituto de Salud Carlos III and an institutional representative for each of the institutions in the consortium, designated by their senior authorities. In any cases of absence or illness, and in general, on any justified grounds, the members of the Governing Board shall be replaced by the persons to whom the consortium institution expressly delegates their representation. No member of the CIBER research groups shall be allowed to be a representative by delegation of the consortium institution.
- The President of the Governing Board shall be the Director of the Instituto de Salud Carlos III. The President of the Governing Board shall be entitled to veto any strategic agreements in the economic field covered in sections f), g) and p) of Article 6.1, pursuant to his or her status as promoter of the consortium and as laid down in Article 1.2. Unless expressly designated by the President, the Vice-President of the Governing Board shall be the Deputy Director General for Cooperative Research and Networks Centres of the Instituto de Salud Carlos III, who shall stand in for the President in any unavoidable absence. The Vice-President shall carry out the functions entrusted to him or her by the President.
- The Managing Director of the Consortium shall be the Secretary of the Governing Board. He or she shall certify, with the President’s approval, the content of the records, documents and resolutions of the Governing Board, being entitled to represent the CIBER Consortium before public notaries in order to notarise resolutions or certifications of minutes, and shall safeguard the internal documents of the Consortium.
- Members of the Governing Board shall start to exercise their functions after having expressly accepted the post in writing from the Secretary of the Governing Board.
- Members of the Governing Board shall perform their duty on an unremunerated basis, with no detriment to their right to be refunded for any duly justified expenses meant for them by carrying out their duties in the post.
- The members of the Governing Board holding this status through their position shall be dismissed when they cease to hold the post for which they are linked to the Consortium.
- The Institutions to which the research groups selected in the calls made for this purpose by Instituto de Salud Carlos III shall join the CIBER, and consequently the Governing Board, in the same conditions as the others.
- The resolutions of the Governing Board and of the Permanent Commission shall be adopted by the weighted voting system depending on the number of groups of each institution forming part of the CIBER. The Instituto de Salud Carlos III, as promoting body and main source of financing, shall hold 41% of the total votes. In any event. the State Bodies present at the CIBER shall have 67% of the votes. The qualified majority of two thirds of the members present shall be required in order to adopt the resolution envisaged in section c) of Article 6.1.
- The Scientific Directors and the Managing Director of the CIBER shall form part of the Governing Body, with speaking but not voting rights.